HFT Teacher Leader Program
The Houston Federation of Teachers in conjunction with the American Federation of Teachers offers teacher members in HISD the opportunity to participate in the Teacher Leader Program. HFT is seeking teachers who would like to take an active role in influencing policy in the following areas, for example:
- Compensation – Pay, Benefits, Career Pathways
- Economics – How are resources allocated to schools?
- Programs – What type of programs should be offered. Should they be one-size fits all or differentiated?
- Leadership – Development of leaders among school employees, parents, and elected officials.
- Teacher Evaluation – the need for fair and meaningful accountability
- Effective classroom management techniques without using exclusionary discipline practices.
- National Board Certification – If they choose participants will be able to go through the process of becoming a Nationally Board Certified Teacher.
HFT will provide teachers with opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills to influence policy locally, statewide, and nationally.
Teachers selected for the program will:
- Increase knowledge of major challenges facing the teaching profession through readings and discussions with leading policy experts
- Improve leadership skills
- Be recognized by the public and media
- Represent teachers nationwide as spokespersons and become members of an nationwide community
- Participate in conducting research and using it in influencing policy
- Be awarded a modest stipend
We are seeking a diverse group of teacher-leaders who are active in their school communities and have track records in working to improve schools. The selection process will require an application and a short interview at the HFT office. To be selected you must commit to meet once a month on a Saturday and to complete an action-research project chosen by you covering one of the five bullet points listed above. There will be a $1,500 stipend paid upon successful completion of the program.
Applications are due no later than September 30, 2018.
You may apply for the program at the following link: https://leadernet.aft.org/webform/teacher-leader-program-application