Thanks to a partnership between Texas AFT Houston-area unions, the American Federation of Teachers, the Barbara Bush Houston Literacy Foundation, and First Book, some 36,000 brand new books will be distributed to Houston-area elementary teachers Saturday. If you are an elementary teacher and would like to attend, make sure to sign up for free with First Book and read the important event details below.
Over the past four years, Texas AFT has given away more than half a million books in partnership with First Book–which distributes free books to low-income students and the schools that serve them. The Houston distribution came about as a response to the devastation to schools and families from Hurricane Harvey.
Stay tuned for more information about the “Essentials for Kids” campaign, which will use AFT and nonprofit funds, along with sponsorship money to expand book and supply giveaways. Here are the details for Saturday’s event:
When is this FREE event?
Saturday, October 7, 2017
8 a.m. to Noon or while books last
Who is invited to attend?
Houston-Area elementary school teachers registered with First Book
Where will 36,000 books be distributed?
Friends of the Houston Public Library Warehouse
6510 West Little York Rd.
Houston, TX 77040
- Books are available on a first come, first served basis, so arrive early!
- Every teacher picking up books must be registered with First Book. In this time of emergency, teachers that would not ordinarily qualify for First Book are eligible to sign up and receive support. If you have any questions during registration, please contact First Book Member Services at 866-READ-NOW.
- Each teacher that attends the event member will be able to select up to 30 books at the event (as long as books last).
- Elementary school teachers must be present to pick up books. You may not choose books on behalf of friends or colleagues who cannot attend.
- Please bring your own boxes, baskets, rolling suitcases, or bags for your books. They are heavier than you may think!
Not an elementary school teacher? Don’t worry, First Book and their partners are raising funds to distribute to more members affected by Hurricane Harvey. Make sure to sign up with First Book and watch your email for notifications when funding opportunities become available for your community.