Corpus Christi American Federation of Teachers AFT, is seeking a full-time Organizer based in Corpus Christi, TX. Organizers perform a number of duties, including recruiting new members, identifying potential leaders and activists, and tracking data in their assigned areas. The Organizer position pays an annual salary of $40,000/year with medical insurance and other benefits as provided. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all are encouraged to apply. Submit your resumé, cover letter and at least three professional references to Dianne Gutierrez by May 15, 2020 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should have a working knowledge of unions and a strong commitment to the labor movement. Some organizing experience is a plus, but not a requirement. Teachers and paraprofessionals are highly encouraged to apply. This job requires often long and irregular hours, some weekend work, and some travel.
JOB OPENING: Full-time Organizer HOW TO APPLY / DEADLINE TO APPLY: Submit your resumé, cover letter and at least three professional references to Dianne Gutierrez by May 15, 2020 at email@example.com.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Field Organizer performs a wide range of duties, including:
• Find and identify local activists, leaders and drivers
• Assemble and train leadership teams including building representatives and worksite teams
• Use databases to accurately track and record membership information and train local leaders to do so as well
• Chart and map organizing turf
• Run campaigns in locals to build majority membership
• Work with local leaders to draft and execute annual and month-by-month organizing and mobilization plans, including local actions and event turnout
• Effectively grow membership
• Ensure that building/site representatives have training regarding union building • Build worksite teams at schools/institutions
• Create campaign documents and literature
• Conduct regular site visits and off site one-on-one visits
• Attend local meetings and actions
• Be committed to executing the vision of Corpus Christi AFT, Texas AFT, and AFT
• May be assigned to work on political or organizing campaigns and events
• Will be available for members as needed
• And to perform any other tasks relative to the goal/mission of our union as directed by the appropriate designee
• Strong commitment to the labor movement
• Knowledge of public sector unions in non-collective bargaining situations • Demonstrated skill as an organizer in the field
• Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate workers and staff
• Demonstrated ability to work independently to achieve goals
• Demonstrated ability to use a high level of judgment
• Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse people
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate leaders’ strengths and weaknesses and provide training in a positive way
• Organizing experience is preferred
• Strong spoken and written English and Spanish-language skills are a plus
• Computer literacy is required
• Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license are required
COMPENSATION: The Organizer position pays an annual salary of $40,000/year with medical insurance and other benefits as provided. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all are encouraged to apply.