POSITION: State Affiliate Political Organizer (SAPO). This position is a result of a joint project between the Texas American Federation of Teachers (Texas AFT) and the American Federation of Teachers. The SAPO will report to the Director of Public Affairs and Director of Organizing, under the direction of the Texas AFT President, to plan and implement our political programs and implement necessary field programs to support the legislative team.
Date Posted: 3/2/2020
Salary: Competitive with benefits.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
The SAPO will be responsible for strengthening the political and legislative education programs of the Texas AFT and the American Federation of Teachers through:
- The ability to work with multiple local unions;
- Management of the full lifecycle of political field programs;
- Staffing and supporting the Committee on Political Education (COPE), as well as increasing participation and contributions;
- Implementing the political endorsement and contribution process;
- Developing and implementing an effective and accountable member-to-member communication system;
- Identifying and recruiting political and legislative activists among the Texas AFT’s membership;
- Participation in coalition groups;
- Considerable travel primarily in Texas;
- Working with vendors and others to ensure effective political communication and outreach; and
- Other duties assigned by Texas American Federation of Teachers and/or the American Federation of Teachers.
- At least five (5) years’ experience of designing and implementing political and/or union grassroots or related programs;
- A demonstrated writing ability and the ability to communicate the union’s goals and objectives to affiliates;
- Experience with campaign field writing or fundraising; and
- Familiarity with technical tools for mobilizing and communicating such as VAN/LAN, Hustle, and others.
Please forward a detailed cover letter explaining why you would be an amazing SAPO, a resume, a writing sample and two references to email@example.com, using the subject line SAPO.
Texas AFT is an EEOC employer.