The Bridges Fellowship
Texas AFT is looking to help train the next generation of labor & education policy activists through our fellowship program.
We seek two hardworking, self-starters committed to helping improve the lives of our members and the families and students we serve to join the 2019-2020 fellowship class. Both undergraduate (Bridges Fellow I) and graduate-level (Bridges Fellow II) positions are available.
|Bridges Fellow I||Bridges Fellow II|
|Currently enrolled in an accredited graduate program.|
Supporting overall governance of Texas AFT, with projects ranging from public policy research to basic communications work to administrative tasks.
|Supporting the Public Affairs team through writing, research, and attending hearings and other meetings.|
$1,500 monthly stipend
$1,750 monthly stipend
All fellows are expected to work an average of 20 hours a week. Your class schedule MUST allow you to work 20 hours during weekdays during the hours of 8 to 6.
Occasional evenings and weekends will be required. On the upside, you will receive the same paid holidays as Texas AFT employees, including 10 days at Christmas.
All fellows must possess:
- A commitment to the labor movement;
- Strong writing & analytical skills;
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and ability to complete projects under time constraints;
- Ability to be self-motivated and adaptable, and to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to take criticism;
- Previous paid work experience; and the
- Ability to communicate with, understand and anticipate the diverse concerns of people of varied economic, racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds and identities.
Bilingual applicants and those with teaching experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please fill out the entire online application here, including the required attachments (resume and writing sample of fewer than 1,000 words).
Applications will not be accepted after September 30, 2019. All applicants must be currently enrolled students.