Lateste Update (October 4, 2017):
Read this helpful FAQ on FEMA relief.
Please note that applications for our Disaster Relief Fund have closed (as of Sept. 8 at midnight). As a Texas AFT Member, you may still be eligible for assistance from the Texas AFL-CIO Worker’s Relief Fund. If you have a Union Plus credit card, mortgage, or auto/life/home insurance, you may be eligible for a Union Plus grant up to $500.
When natural disasters strike, they significantly affect our school communities, which often struggle with issues over transportation, damaged facilities, and impacted school employees and students. Hurricane Harvey and its corresponding rain and flooding hit us at a particularly awkward time, since Monday is the first day of school for most districts in Texas.
Your fellow school employees that are Texas AFT members need your assistance!
You can donate to our Disaster Relief Fund here.
Here are a few resources for finding information and assistance:
- IMPORTANT changes in the law regarding insurance claims: You may need to take action before Sept. 1 to be protected!
- present, so you must look for lists in your area.)
- Legal issues around insurance from the State Bar of Texas
- TxDOT map of road closures/conditions
- FEMA list of counties with disaster declarations and applications for assistance
- State of Texas Hurricane Center (includes numbers for roadside assistance, road closures, etc.)
- American Red Cross (includes maps of shelter locations)
- Texas Hotels and Lodging
- U.S. Coast Guard Storm Center
If you are a Texas AFT member in need of immediate assistance, please email us here or message us on Facebook. Please note that applications for the Disaster Relief Fund grants have closed as of Sept. 8 at midnight.