Texas AFT Field Writer (Temporary)
Posted October, 7, 2020
Position: Staff Writer
(Work begins remotely, however position will be based in Austin, TX)
Texas AFT needs a field writer to assist with projects through September 1, 2021. Texas American Federation of Teachers represents public school workers throughout the state and seeks to ensure democracy in education and education for democracy. This grant-funded position will report to the Director of Organizing.
A successful candidate will:
- Have a demonstrated commitment to the values of the labor movement.
- Become an expert on our advocacy campaigns and policy initiatives so you can write about them effectively and pitch content.
- Effectively translate policy documents into reader-friendly materials for our members, stakeholders and other audiences.
- Write editorial content that inspires new audiences to become active participants in our union.
- Write and produce clear, concise, error-free prose (including blog, email, social media and web content) on tight deadlines and with a strong attention to detail.
- Coordinate with our Organizing and Public Affairs departments to ensure consistent voice across channels/venues.
- Be a strategic partner in brainstorming ideas to support campaign, program and development initiatives.
- Monitor news and current events in our issue areas and work closely with Communications and Organizing teams to develop and review site and email content.
- Develop content for our various audiences with the goals of education, awareness, engagement, mobilization and political PAC fundraising.
- Write compelling marketing copy for The Bridges Institute for Professional Development event series.
- Provide social media writing and content support.
- Work collaboratively with team experts to help execute creative digital projects and campaigns.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- At least one year’s experience writing professionally.
- Strong writing, editing and research skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience using social media to communicate and engage workers.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Proven experience excelling in fast-paced and metrics-driven work environments.
- Willingness to think creatively and solve problems proactively.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle.
- Access to a mobile phone and electronic device (iPad, computer, etc.)
- Familiarity with AP Style and best practices for writing for the web preferred.
- Familiarity or experience with issues regarding public education in Texas (former educator, educator on sabbatical, education advocacy experience) preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a temporary full-time position lasting through September 1, 2021. The position offers $4,000/month salary and health insurance.
Submit resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to Texas AFT using our application link:
Equal Employment Opportunity and all are invited to apply.