- Data Specialist
Location: Austin, TX
Starting Salary: $50,000–$59,000 (based on experience)
Preferred Start Date: November 1, 2021
Application Deadline: October 15, 2021
Texas American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is seeking a knowledgeable and dynamic Data Specialist. A Data Specialist will assist and coordinate support to local affiliates and special projects throughout the state, including training and supporting staff and leaders.
The primary skills required for this position include relationship building, problem solving, and training. The successful candidate will be curious and solution-driven, but also be able to hold the larger picture in mind when proposing solutions and focus on building capacity while meeting deadlines. The successful candidate must be equally focused on implementing good data practices and training/supporting affiliates. The Texas AFT Data Specialist will know that the perfect data solution is useless if it won’t be adopted, so the ability to get buy-in from multiple stakeholders is just as important as their hard skills.
Applicants should have a working knowledge of unions and a commitment to the labor movement. Some organizing experience is a plus, but not a requirement.
Specific job duties include:
- Develop, coordinate, and often execute affiliate plans to enter/load data, match data, and create various reports.
- Support the data end of political program.
- Provide the Texas AFT management team with recommendations and best practices: coordinating with our national union, AFT, to determine functionality within AFT-provided tools; researching and recommending additional tools or external systems; and assessing new technology options based on use-case and affiliate capacity.
- Build, manage, or support data solutions in AFT tools (LAN, Connect, CAP, Hustle, Action Network, Action Builder, etc.), KNACK, Excel, and Google.
- Work closely with local, state, and national staff, planning and providing support and training as needed on list building, data collection, entry/importing, extraction, and production of reports.
- Work closely and collaborate with leaders and staff on improving data practices.
- Increase Texas AFT’s capacity to communicate with members and allies.
- Train leaders and staff in data management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Graduation with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; post-graduate experience or graduate degree is a plus.
- State of Texas driver’s license.
- Outstanding training and support skills a must.
- Advanced skills in EXCEL or Google apps required.
- Strong analytic, problem solving, and project planning skills, with the ability to exercise independent judgment and discern priorities required.
- Union and/or political organizing background, including production and use of data and lists that support organizing goals, is strongly preferred.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- 2-3 years database work experience preferred, on any platform.
- Willingness and ability to take direction and function well within a team structure, as well as to coordinate (and at times lead) the work of others on complex projects and campaigns.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully in diverse communities.
- Willingness and ability to work long and varying hours.
- Willingness to learn new skills and keep current on the tools needed to support our members.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary for this position is $50,000-$59,000 (based on experience) and is part of a collective bargaining agreement with the staff union. In addition to base salary, the position offers a wide range of benefits including:
- Benefits of a union contract
- Fully paid health and dental insurance for the employee and dependent
- Fully paid disability income insurance for the employee and $50,000 term life insurance
- Paid sick and vacation leave per year
- Retirement contribution
Use the subject line: DATA SPECIALIST, submit the following to Tanner Williams, Texas AFT Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by October 15.
- Three references
Equal Opportunity Employer and all are encouraged to apply.