Texas AFT provides a free annual membership for students completing their education degree/certification. Our members believe in the passion of others who wish to be a part of the teaching profession. #RespectUsExpectUs
Take Our Respect Pledge
We are taking action for Texas’ future. Help us win the respect public school employees and students deserve. Sign our pledge today and learn more about our campaign. | Click to Sign
By joining, you make our union stronger and your participation – as an active member and an excellent educator who stands up for public schools – inspires and empowers others to do the same. We owe it to ourselves to come together as educators and stand up for our public schools. Call us at 1-800-222-3827 for more information.
Membership is free. All student memberships must be renewed annually. Join our movement today – join Texas AFT.
Members get many benefits, including $1 million Professional Liability Insurance and our union’s AFT+ Member Benefits program.
Find out why becoming a teacher is the right choice for you. Download our PDF booklet.
Student Membership Benefits
- Student Debt Relief Programs – Texas AFT provides many Student Debt Clinics and benefits to help reduce student loan debt. Click here to learn more.
- Local, State, and National Advocacy – Be a part of a movement that seeks to lift up the profession by improving working conditions
- $1 Million Professional Liability Insurance – covers against accidents that may occur to students under your care at school, claims of professional negligence, and other issues.
- $5,000 Legal Protection – covers up to $5,000 in legal fees for job-related issues of discrimination, teacher dismissal, and other items established by the AFT Legal Defense Committee.
- Professional Development Opportunities – Texas AFT provides complimentary professional development workshops with our Bridges Institute.
- Save Big Dollars – members receive thousands of discounts saving you and your family money on travel, entertainment, shopping, hotels, rental cars, movie tickets, etc.
- Publications – this includes American Educator magazine.
Our Texas AFT Bridges Institute for Professional Development is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization devoted to providing professional development and educational resources to Texas educators. Check out current and upcoming events on the Bridges Institute page.
Where We Stand
We are educators joined together for the common good. We support one another’s personal and professional success, and together we stand up for what’s right for our schools and our students. Texas AFT is part of your school community. We are colleagues who help each other teach our students and make our schools the best they can be. By joining, you make our union stronger and your participation – as an active member and an excellent educator who stands up for public schools – inspires and empowers others to do the same. We owe it to ourselves to come together as educators and stand up for our public schools.