Handling student debt can feel frustrating, time-consuming, and complex. Texas AFT is here to help you with student debt relief. Our union has organized four student debt relief clinics that are available to all members for free. These clinics are virtual over Zoom and have a duration of 90 minutes.
Our upcoming clinics this summer are as follows:
- July 27 | 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- August 10 | 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- August 31 | 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- September 14 | 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Our Texas AFT Student Debt Clinics are programs that:
- Assess the experience of borrowers in the midst of a national student debt crisis;
- Empower borrowers to manage their student debt by giving them information on free federal programs that may lower their monthly payments and lead to their loans being forgiven;
- Introduce borrowers to a free AFT member benefit—an online resource called Summer—that will simplify the management of their student loans; and
- Engage borrowers in union activism to address the student debt crisis and other important issues in their workplace and community.
Student Debt Clinics provide our members with important information on two free federal debt relief programs: (1) Income-driven repayment plans, which help determine your monthly payment based on your adjusted gross income and family size and may save you money and (2) Public Service Loan Forgiveness, geared for qualifying federal loan borrowers to have the money they saved using an income-driven repayment plan forgiven after making payments for 10 years while working in public service. You can register for any of the four upcoming clinics here.