- Video highlights achievements of Houston community schools model
- Earning respect for support staff through pay increases
- Our Role = Power: The Texas AFT Support Professionals Conference 2018
- We’ve lost count, but it adds up to tons of fun and learning with our First Book giveaways!
- Benefit spotlight: Floral arrangements for every occasion
- Not getting our daily Legislative Hotline? Here’s what you’ve missed
- About this newsletter
Video highlights achievements of Houston community schools model
Watch an inspiring video on how Houston union and school staff came together at Durkee Elementary to transform their school through a “Community Schools” initiative. Now parents are looking to buy houses in the neighborhood because of the changes they’ve seen.
- Read about other community schools initiatives around the state.
- Find out more about the Community Schools National Forum on May 2-4.
Earning respect for support staff through pay increases
Texas AFT local unions have been at the forefront of pushing for a “living wage” for support professionals, and our unions have succeeded in instituting higher minimum wages and pay increases in several districts.
Alliance-AFT–our Dallas ISD affiliate–has been working on a “Respect” campaign through the fall and spring to try and win a 3 percent pay increase for all support professionals.
Alliance-AFT members continue to show their support for the campaign by wearing “Respect” ribbons.
Our Role = Power: The Texas AFT Support Professionals Conference 2018
Texas AFT will host a conference on April 27 and 28 in Houston to empower support professionals through a variety of forum and workshops.
Our conference will feature workshops designed to give support professionals ideas and tools on how to implement campaigns to build power. Participants will be part of a day and a half of team building activities and return energized to engage in union activities.
Who should attend?
Paraprofessionals, secretaries/clerks, cafeteria workers, custodians, bus drivers, etc., who want to heighten their leadership skills should attend. Local presidents and key executive board members are also encouraged to attend. You must be sponsored by your local union to attend.
Dates and Locations
The Texas AFT Support Professionals Conference will take place on the evening of Friday, April 27 and during the day on Saturday, April 28. Locations include:
Friday, April 27 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
“Our Role = Power” Kickoff Event
Gulf Coast Labor Federation
2506 Sutherland Street Houston, TX 77023
(Evening food and beverages will be provided)
Saturday, April 28 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
“Our Role = Power” Texas AFT Support Professionals Conference
Houston Community College
Northwest 2811 Hayes Road Houston, TX 77082
(Refreshments and lunch will be provided)
We’ve lost count, but it adds up to tons of fun and learning with our First Book giveaways!
We admit we’ve lost count, but it’s certain that the 40,000 free books given away for the First Book event in Northside ISD last Saturday puts the total at over half a million free books distributed to students and classrooms.
- Northside AFT worked with the district to coordinate the event, which allows students and teachers from Title I schools to pick from a variety of new books.
Benefit spotlight: Floral arrangements for every occasion
Hunt no further for the perfect Easter gift. It’s easy to spread Easter joy with a glorious hand-arranged bouquet. Or find a floral arrangement for any celebration. Save 25 percent site-wide on flowers and gift-baskets with your Union Plus discount.
Not getting our daily Legislative Hotline? Here’s what you’ve missed
Texas AFT publishes a daily Legislative Hotline to keep you informed about education policy, politics, union news and events. Not on the list? Here are a couple of items you missed:
- Straight talk about Texas teachers’ compensation
- Major state funding needed to correct wrongful denial of special-education services
- Commission on school finance hears call for restoring state school aid in 11-hour hearing
- Subscribe the Legislative Hotline
About this newsletter
Round-Up is the newest email newsletter from Texas AFT and is published every two weeks. You are on this list because you either subscribed, or you were added when you opted in participating in a Texas AFT action campaign. You may unsubscribe at any time with the link below, but we’d love to have you stay to hear more about our union, public education, and your profession.
Texas American Federation of Teachers represents more than 65,000 teachers, paraprofessionals, support personnel, and higher-education employees across the state. Texas AFT is affiliated with the 1.7-million-member American Federation of Teachers.