Next Tuesday, several voucher bills will be considered by the House Public Education Committee. Texas AFT is categorically opposed to all efforts to divert public education funding away from public schools.
Texas AFT encourages all community members who are able to testify or register against the voucher bills on Tuesday to do so.The hearing will take place at 8 a.m. Tuesday, April 11, in room E2.036 of the Capitol Extension.
The voucher bills which will be considered by the committee are as follows:
- HB 619 by Rep. Matt Shaheen (R-Plano)
- HB 3781 by Rep. Jacey Jetton (R-Richmond)
- HB 4340 by Rep. James Frank (R-Wichita Falls)
- HB 4807 by Rep. Brian Harrison (R-Midlothian)
- HB 4969 by Rep. Matt Schaefer (R-Tyler)
If you are interested in testifying in Austin on Tuesday, please let us know. If you can’t make it to Austin, you can still make your voice heard against these bills by submitting comments through the House’s online portal. Sign up here to get our guide on how to comment.