In times of great need, we stand #UnionStrong with our members.
We’re entering an era that will likely bring more extreme weather and natural disasters — hurricanes, droughts, wildfires and floods — that will affect our members and their communities. The time to prepare is now.
Texas AFT has responded to numerous calls for help over the years. We have witnessed local affiliates braving disasters, big and small. Some of the most effective relief and recovery efforts have come from local unions with emergency response plans already in place.
Hurricane Preparedness & Relief
Hurricane season has started, and communities in the Caribbean, up and down the Atlantic and along the Gulf Coast are all in the potential hurricane zone.
While federal and state government will help, our union family must respond to this crisis, just as we have done with previous disasters.
On this page, we’ve collected various resources that can help our fellow union members, friends and family in the wake of disaster.
Use these resources to assist your planning and response efforts. For immediate questions, please call us toll-free at 1-800-222-3827.
- AFT Disaster Relief & Emergency Preparedness
- AFT Hurricane Preparedness & Relief
- AFT: Hurricane Season 2020 (PDF)
- Post Event Trauma Resources
- Emergency Financial First Aid Kit
- Prepare Your Health: Personal Needs
- Preparing for a Hurricane or other Tropical Storm
If you’re experiencing an emergency, please dial 911 and/or contact authorities. Note: Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, some responses from governmental and community organizations may be unavailable or delivered remotely. These materials will assist you.
- FEMA Resources
- FEMA: COVID-19 Pandemic Operational Guidance for the 2020 Hurricane Season (PDF)
- AFT Member Benefits: Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Texas Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD)
- VOAD Partner Members
- Texas Division of Emergency Management Regional & District Coordinators
FEMA Region VI serves Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.
FRC 800 North Loop 288
Denton, TX 76209-3698
Texas AFT Disaster Relief Fund
Texas AFT has a long history of assisting members in need during catastrophic events (the Bastrop fires, Hurricane Harvey, Houston flooding, Hurricane Maria, and the Dallas tornado) by distributing relief checks, and in many instances providing a place to stay and regroup or hands-on labor for cleanup. Please help continue these efforts by donating to our Disaster Relief Fund. All proceeds are distributed directly to members during disasters. Any amount is welcome, but recurring donations keep the fund healthy. Donate now!